Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Experience in China

I am an Chinese-American born and raised in NYC.  I am what people call an "ABC" (American Born Chinese) not only because of my lack of Chinese-speaking skills (both Cantonese and Mandarin) but also because I am not as in  tune with the Chinese culture as I should be being that I am the 1st Generation.

My parents are native to China; my mother is from JiangMen (江门) and my father is from TaiShan (台山)both of which are located in GuangDong (广东), a southern region of China.  It was only this past summer that I went back to visit their hometowns.

While I was in China, I felt uncomfortable because I was in an unfamiliar environment and I wasn't sure how to communicate with people due to language barriers (I can only speak conversation Chinese and have an extremely limited vocabulary).  But despite this, now that I think back, the people I encountered didn't seem too different or strange.

Some differences I encountered include:
1. Food- I can't tell you how much I miss the food. Because I couldn't communicate well with others, all I could do was stuff my mouth with authentic Chinese food.  Among the less odd dishes (fish, crabs, vegetables) I was able to try several "exotic" dishes including Roast Goose (which is a rather popular dish), Fried Snake (it was delicious!), and farm-raised Pigeon (it tasted just like Chicken).
2. Structure of the town/City- JiangMen, I believe, is a city but unlike New York, people don't seem to be in a rush but perhaps it's because there aren't trains there (at least not to my knowledge).  There are buses though and they seem to come pretty often (more often than the B4 nearby my house).  I think, however, bikes and mopeds are the most popular ways to commute. 
3. Toilets- The toilets in most places in China are just holes in the ground. (Google for an image if you're curious).  Only in 4-5 star hotels are there "regular" 'American' toilets. And that was something that took a while to get used to.  When I think about it though, the Chinese restrooms are much more efficient because (1) they're easier to clean and (2) less material is used to construct them
But it makes me wonder if China has a sewer system.  Or does everything get deposited into the ground?
4. Exercise Routines- In JiangMen, we stayed at a hotel right by a park and my father dragged both my brother and me to go running with him and we did this everyday around 7-9 in the morning while we were in the area.  And everyday, we would always see a group of people performing a routine to soft music playing on a stereo nearby.  Others who did not participate walked around the park, clapping their hands together repeatedly in wide motions (I started doing it myself but of course, after I returned to the US, it would be considered strange to do such a thing).
5. Overly Aggressive Salespeople- A friend of mine brought me to a mall and as soon as we walk into a store, a salesperson would trot right up to ask and start asking whether we needed help. When we replied that we're just looking, instead of giving us some space, the salespeople often would remain there and watched our every move.  As soon as we picked an item up, they would not hesitate to tell us how great the product is and how the product is fitting for me and how the price is a steal...etc.  
6. Table Manners- When my family dined in China, I recall my father's friends fighting over who pours from the teapot (Tea is the main beverage in China).  I guess pouring tea for others is a respectful thing to do.  Tapping your finger on the table after being refilled is the way to thank the the one pouring.

In class, we mostly discussed cultural differences in terms of behavior but I feel that the people I encountered weren't too different in their actions.  People in China greet each other similar to the way you and I do with either a handshake, a 'hello', or a 'how are you'.  One difference, though, is that encounters seem less intimate (no hugging or kiss on the cheek is exchanced).

2 comments:

  1. I've never been to China, but it sounds interesting how taste can be so different in another country. Being American in New York, the idea of eating goose, snake, and pigeon is something I have never thought of. I mean, pigeons are everywhere in the city, walking pass me on the sidewalks, but I never realized that, even though New Yorkers don't, other parts of the world do eat them. But, I guess it'll be boring if everyone in the world ate the same things. It's fun and exciting to explore different cultures' unique foods, to bring some spice in our lives.

    On people enjoying the performance with the soft music, I think sounds fun and relaxing. Here in New York, there are street performers, but if you're just walking by, you walk quickly around the group of people to avoid getting stuck in the crowd. It would be nice one day, if we all would just let loose, feel the music, and have fun like they do in China.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yea, I missed the time that I ate birds. Good time, good time. However, I was told that they caught them from wild by poison them will medicine, I stopped eating them since. Good thing the pigeon you ate is domestically fed. One thing about toilet, they are mostly a hold on the ground for sure, BUT its mostly for public buildings such as school, military (eh....the military, yea, u will never forget the smell), and hospital. I can’t say duck down and having problem solved is better than sit down, but it does force you to stay as short time as possible since your legs will be numb soon.

    ReplyDelete