Sunday, May 15, 2011

I approve of Blogging.

Besides taking pressure away from test grades, blogging is a great way to share ideas outside of class.  In a classroom that large, some of us don't get too many opportunities to share our ideas (esp. when we have to compete with the Dominant-type people) 

I don't raise my hand very often unless I have a question, but even when I do, I tend to ask neighboring students for help.  During class discussions, when there is something i strongly disagree with, instead of voicing my opinions, I rant/share my ideas with those around me. Because of blogging, I can share my ideas without having private conversations during class. 

I really enjoyed the blog assignments because unlike most homework assignments, there is no right answer. Through blogging, we can almost write anything we want and it'll never be wrong. (Unless you're blogging about something completely off topic, but that's your problem.)

This is the only class that I've had (other than Freshman Orientation, but does that even count?) where blogging is considered homework and I am glad for this because it is a stress-less activity and can even be fun sometimes.  

I have a blog other than this one and have used it since freshman or sophomore year of high school.  However, I stopped sometime around freshman year of College because the few friends I shared it with stopped visiting and as a result, I stopped blogging.  Maybe I'll resume and instead of viewing it as a place to rant, I'll treat it like a not-so-personalized Diary/Journal.  A high school substitute teacher once told me that she kept a Diary when she was younger and with every page she read, she recalled clear images and  minute details of each log recorded.

For these reasons, Blogging should definitely remain the only 'homework' assignments for MGT3120.  :-)

4 comments:

  1. Yes i totally agree. i feel that blogging is a great homework assignment. it gives a level of freedom to voice your opinion while relating to the work of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you I think it is great that Professor Kurpis, can read about our thoughts and experiences etc. here on our blogs. In a class with 80 (or more students)one can easily get discouraged to speak up about those things.. You should def keep blogging, and I like what your high school teacher said about recalling special moments by writing them down :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great that this blog helped you find your voice in the classroom! I agree, sometimes it is very hard to get your point across when so many other students are raising their hands. I second that the blog should be kept as the only homework given :) makes class much more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Unlike the assignment in math class, there is no standard answer in the blog. We can write whatever we want to, as long as it stays with the topic. That is a high degree of freedom. According to the text book, releasing the freedom to subordinates will make them have more and more creativity.

    ReplyDelete